Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Marx Brothers


"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member."
-Groucho Marx

Marx Brothers written and performed by RJT

I started a joke. The end I couldn’t remember. I said August doesn’t seem to know when to quit. You told me it was September. You said don’t be embarrassed. Who can remember the rhyme about the rest having 31? And besides it’s the time of year when you can’t tell the hour by the position of the sun. I called my boy the other day. Nobody was home. They start them back at school so early these days. I couldn’t put down the phone. His mom is doing a hell of a job. Our boy is so polite. I only get to listen to the voicemails he leaves in the middle of the night. I could kiss you forever and hold you so tightly like a frame holds a door. I would promise you everything. And I would mean it. But I’ve said that shit before. So I’ll wave goodbye. I’ll tip you my hat. You can watch me walk down your street like I was the man you think I am. Damn, that would be sweet.

No comments: