Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Moral Dilemma of the Day

You are in a happy relationship with a person of your preferred gender who you find attractive, and who you can envision spending the rest of your life with. You also have a beloved pet (cat, dog, turtle, whatever) that you've had since before your current relationship began, and who you love more than you've loved any pet you've ever had before.

And then one day you wake up to discover that your lover has turned into some kind of domesticated animal and your pet has become a person, an attractive person of your preferred gender. Their personalities will remain intact, so that your new cat (or dog) will have the same personality as your former lover, and your new lover will have the same personality as your former pet. The problem is that your new lover is violently allergic to your new pet, and one of them will have to go. Who do you choose? The person who before yesterday was your pet, or the pet who before yesterday was your lover?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

buy claritin?

Mr Morey said...

OK, so the new lover, who was said pet, is now allergic to the type of animal they just yesterday were? Oh the irony!
But I'm with Lisa, the only moral dilemma here is the ridiculous cost of Claritin vs. cost of Kleenex and eye drops.

rjt said...

Neither of you is playing by the rules. Haven't you ever encountered a moral dilemma before?

domer253 said...

Ryan.... WTF.... I entered in a 1200 word dissertation on you conundrum and hit publish, and it reloaded the page and whoops!... no comment. I think that my eloquent verbage just completely and utterly overloaded the comprehension of this site. Or.... some higher power thought that my words would be too powerful for the ears of others.... or... the internet sucks! anyways...

As much as I would love to agree, and do, with my mentor (Mr. Morey) I will actually attempt an answer at your dilema. As much as I don't like to say it, I would have to choose the side of staying with my new human partner. First of all, depending on the animal, they may have only a limited capacity to convey any meaningful type of relationship, and certainly not a physical relationship (ewww). That being said, I think that human relationships, once obtained, are more important that those with domesticated animals. The now animal would be observed in that manner as now actually being a domesticated animal.

Now.... you verbage in your dilema actually makes it seem that all is the same except for the fact that I would know that this person is actually my pet, and that my pet was my previous lover. That is difficult, but I do think that if I took the other side of the coin and attempted to stay only with the animal, that I would feel the yearning for human companionship, and why go out and feel the need to look for further human companionship when I alreayd have a human companion whom I would like to have a relationship with, and whom I already have a longstanding emotional attachment to.

Certainly not an easy situation to be in, and I would have to exhaust all other options before getting to that point, but the pooch has got to go.

DK said...

It seems to me that my new lover wins on all fronts. Firstly, My relationship with her/it predated my relationship with my new pet/ex-lover. Secondly, my new lover/ex-pet now has opposable thumbs which are incredibly handy (in a manner of speaking - and that's above and beyond their capacity for sexual favors, Darrell)

That said, I will make my final decision the antithesis of whatever RJT's conclusion is. However, I will then become RJT and he will become me and we will debate the topic.